Monday, October 15, 2012

A Catholic Mother's Companion To Pregnancy


I just finished reading a copy of Sarah Reinhard’s book, A Catholic Mother's Companion to Pregnancy

First of all, you don’t have to be Catholic to read it! Sarah finds a marvelous way of combining all our womanly fears, worries, concerns not only about pregnancy and mothering but all about being a God fearing Christian woman into one book!  She breaks down each week of your pregnancy including what is happening with the baby, you, what you may be feeling and especially how to ask the Lord and his Blessed Mother for help  in getting through it. It’s not preachy, or long, just direct, funny at times and to the point!

As a mom myself it’s a relief to read that other women have had those nagging, guilty feelings about mothering, or how pregnancy is affecting us. Sarah lets us know she’s not perfect, but she keep trying.  Just like Jesus did for us by falling three times on His way to the Cross!

Her delightful commentary on each week of pregnancy, with total compassion and understanding towards pregnancies that might end in miscarriage or stillborn birth or even towards those women who are spiritual mothers and not physical ones, offers insight to every woman’s soul as she urges you to walk the way with Mama Mary.

I love the way she urges you to take Mary’s hand when you are scared or tired and ask her help along the way of not only your pregnancy but as a wife and mom too. Sarah shares insights into her life and personality that help reassure you your feelings are shared by other woman.

The other thing I love about Sarah’s book is you don’t have to be pregnant to read it!  As a mother of three, the youngest who is 20, reading Sarah’s anecdotes, advice and prayers reminded me that as mom you never stop worrying about your kids no matter their age. It brought back memories of my pregnancies, the joys, the worries, the wonderings, the times I just kept asking Mary for help to get through a day.

I can’t wait to hand on this book to my daughter who just got married, to prepare her for becoming a mom some day. As a pregnant woman I could never get my hands on enough reading material to prepare me for delivery day and mothering.  I wish there had been a book like Sarah’s when I was going through pregnancies, something to tie in the spiritual and scripture and knowing what was going on inside my body. This book touches on all those areas. It’s not meant to be an in-depth look at pregnancy or spiritual life, but that is what makes it so enjoyable.  You don’t have to have a degree in Theology or in obstetrics to enjoy it, yet it gives you enough meat to keep you reading.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment